STI is a complementary initiative to the well-known research program SETI (Research for Extraterrestrial Intelligence) which attempts since the 60’s to detect the possible signals of intelligent life forms. As SETI points its radiotelescopes towards space, STI proposes to orient our instruments towards the planet Earth. STI is an attempt to detect the forms of intelligence that can contribute to establish a sustainable human civilization at a cosmological scale.
STI observes our lives with networks
Some hypotheses on which the STI program could be based are proposed in the article « Search for Terrestrial Intelligence » published in issue 11 of the Cube Review on the theme « Making society. What meaning?« . These hypotheses lead us to pay attention to artificial networks that we construct in all areas of our social life, to try to understand their dynamics, and to learn how to evaluate their legitimacy. Indeed, according to the thesis defended in the article, we build our artificial networks following to anoptical perspectives which imply all our cognition, but we have not yet assimilated the criteria of legitimacy of these constructions. Combined with our limited understanding of the dynamics of our social networks, this means that we have no control over them. They make bubbles and crises in all areas and at all scales, to the point of threatening the life itself of our species. A first step of the STI program could be the launch of a STI@ome initiative.
STI@home: detect intelligence from home!
Everyone knows the SETI@home initiative, derived from SETI, which proposes to volonteers to allocate some resource of calculation of his personal computer to the analysis of the signals received by the radiotelescopes. Let’s see how a STI@home initiative could be inspired by it. According to the hypotheses developed in the article:
« It is enough to build a network according to a legitimate anoptic perspective, dedicated to the creation and observation of its own dynamics. »
This can be simpler than it sounds. Indeed, the support of this network exists. It’s just the Internet. The base of software also exists and can be improved can be improved ad infinitum. This is the Poietic Generator, a collective and contemplative meta-game (without any commercial character), conceived a long time ago to meet precisely these objectives.
Practically, the STI@home based on the Poietic Generator can be reached by anybody from any mobile or terminal. It generates in real time an image constituted by all the contributions of those who participate in it. Its image can be captured and displayed anywhere in all possible formats, including « live paintings« .
The STI@home network could thus become a generic model in front of which the legitimacy of all other networks could be assessed. This could lead to the creation of a community of people, private actors and institutions involved in this research. Each could contribute to it in several ways:
- By practicing from time to time the Poietic Generator. It is accessible to all, from 3 to 103 years old, on all fixed and mobile terminals.
- By hosting a STI@home terminal allowing the contemplation of the image produced in real time by the participants of the Poietic Generator. This is accessible to all. It’s free for those who build it themselves (tutorial). The others may buy one on this site. This will financially support the research.
- By organizing events in schools or cultural centers, in various public or private places, or in the urban spaces.
- By spreading the underlying ideas of STI in every imaginable way, including translating its documentation into all possible languages.
- By participating in software development, data science modeling and analysis.
All the project, software, images, data and scientific results are published under a free license (Free Art License, GNU afero, GPL, CC-BY-SA, etc.)
To participate in a planned or unexpected way, please contact: olivier.auber (AT) vub.ac.be
交流 | 游戏《Poietic Generator（分子发生器）》
Installation au Shanghai Institute of Visual Art (SIVA), Novembre 2015
Compte rendu (en chinois)
« Loci Loci » (in Latin: « the places of a place« ) is a very simple installation that I propose to realize in the context of the « Consciousness Reframed 2015 » conference (De Tao Masters Academy, Shanghai, 20-21 November 2015 ), where I will also give a talk entitled: « Refounding Legitimacy Toward Aethogenesis« .
This is merely a display on the ground of the overall image of Poietic generator. Students would be invited: – first, to participate in creation of this image via their mobile (PLAY), – second, to take place physically on the personal sign that each one draws in real time.
The experience may last about one hour. It may involve several tens or hundreds of people locally, and also some other persons who can participate from around the world via Internet.
Practically, so that the experience can take place, I need:
- a powerful beamer linked to a connected computer,
- an ideal location (a building overlooking a light colored floor), on which to hang the beamer,
- a little help to install the hardware, invite participants, welcome them, take pictures, etc.
The place, day and time of the experiment has been fixed:
- Building#6, Shanghai Institute of Visual Arts (SIVA)
- Monday 23rd November 2015, 5 > 7 PM (Shanghai Time), 10h – 12h (Paris Time).
- Free entrance. Online : http://play.poietic-generator.net
- Videostreaming: stay tuned.
The Poietic Generator will be displayed in real time at Musée des Arts et Métiers, Paris, in an historical Netart exhibition, during the « Futur en Seine » event, June 11th – 14th 2015.
Curators: Stéphane Natkin, CNAM Paris ; Anolga Rodionoff & Jean-Marie Dallet – Université Paris 8